There are few things so lovely as enjoying a colourful garden in full bloom during the warmer summer weather. That’s especially true when said garden is the product of your own hard work. Summer is a time to reap the rewards of your labour and finally just sit back, relax and enjoy your surroundings.
If you’re looking for a reliable plant that can really bring that ‘wow factor’ to your summer display, Geraniums are the perfect choice and one of our most popular plants for summer baskets and bedding.
That popularity stems from the wonderful range of colours available at relatively low costs, compared to more expensive pot grown varieties. These summer bedding Geranium (Pelargoniums) are tender young plants, raised from either seeds or cuttings, making them just fantastic value for money.
Versatile Summer Plants
The benefit of incorporating Geraniums into the summer garden is their versatility. Our range can offer solutions for everything from pots and window boxes, to borders or hanging baskets.
We have had many customers send us photos over the years, where they have been growing summer bedding plants in some unique ways such as in wheelbarrows, slippers, wellington boots, old teapots, etc. Get thinking of some other great places and make a statement that few others will be able to boast of and let us know in the comments!
How are Summer Bedding Geraniums supplied?
Pelargoniums, or more commonly known as tender Geranium plants, are not to be confused with the hardy perennial types who share the same name.
Our great range of Geraniums (Pelargoniums) are supplied in one of four ways as follows
Garden Ready Plants – Our new premium range of bedding can be planted straight into their final location in your garden. These large, easy-to-grow plants come in trays of 30 at a height of up to 15cm, with each plug measuring 5cm in width. They will establish fast when planted straight into their final location, and are the best choice for last minute summer colour or novice gardeners.
Maxi plug plants – Our award-winning Maxi plus plants are supplied in trays of 33 or 66. They produce unbeatable value, with a volume per tray of up to 50% more than competitors. They can be potted up for a number of weeks to enable the roots to become even stronger before planting out into their final location.
Rapid plug plants – Trays of 120 young seed raised plants which are fantastic value for money. They are smaller than Maxi plugs but can be potted up in advance of planting outdoors in their final location. All delivered from March, through early May.
Jumbo plug plants – Supplied as large 3cm or 4cm diameter plugs which are ready for planting straight into the border or patio pots. Available in packs of six per variety or in some great money saving collections. Delivery is made from April, through early May.
How to plant Summer Bedding Geranium plants
- Your Geranium (Pelargoniums) should be unpacked and allowed to breathe upon arrival. If the weather is dry, give the plugs a little water on arrival and they will be ready to pot up or plant out within 48 hours.
- Once ready for potting up we recommend that you use a well-balanced compost mixture, such as John Innes Number 2. It is best to avoid a mixture that is too peaty as this often means the soil can become crusty/dry and thus will repel water.
- Make sure the soil is well watered and make a hole deep enough to firmly hold the root ball of the Geranium. Make sure during the late spring and early summer that the plants are kept watered (but take care not to over-water) and if growing in pots, make sure that the pots allow for good drainage. It often can help to raise the pots off ground level to maximise drainage.
- Plant in areas with as much light as possible to assist with healthy flower development. Once buds begin to appear you can consider applying a liquid feed once a week, such as a high potash feed. This should help to encourage more colourful flowers.
- It is beneficial during the summer months to deadhead the plants to help encourage and improve growth. Remove dead flowers heads to allow for new growth to push through and to keep looking tidy and healthy
What about Hardy Geraniums?
Hardy Geraniums are separate from their tender, bedding counterparts. These hardy perennial plants are great as ground cover plants and will flower throughout the summer with bright colours framed by their dark green foliage. In the wild these Geraniums are often found in sand dunes and on rocky slopes so unsurprisingly they dislike overly moist soils and will do better in any well drained moderately fertile soil.
These hardy plants are supplied slightly different, such as first grade loose rooted or larger potted plants, so be sure to check out individual listings for the full information or if in doubt get in touch with us for more advice.