Last Updated on 17/03/2021 by Shannen Godwin
Sometimes it can be difficult to feed the whole family and keep everyone happy. This easy to cook dish is the perfect meal for week day dinners and will keep the whole family coming back for seconds!
Servings: Family of 4-6 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
You will need:
- Large saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- Oven-proof dish
- 1kg potatoes
- 400ml milk + a dash
- 25g butter + a knob
- 25g plain flour
- 4 spring onions
- 1 handful of peas
- 1x fish pie mix (320g – 400g worth)
- 1tsp Dijon or English mustard
- 1 handful of frozen sweetcorn
- Half a 25g pack of chives, finely chopped
- 1 handful of grated cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c/fan 180/gas mark 6.
- Peel and halve your potatoes and put into your large pot on the stove. Fill with water until it covers the potatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer until soft.
- Once your potatoes have cooked, drain using your strainer or pan lid and put back into the pan. Mash thoroughly with a splash of milk and knob of butter. Season well with salt and black pepper to taste. Put to one side before going onto the next step.
- Put 25g of butter and 25g of plain flour into your medium pan. Finely slice your 4 spring onions and add those to the pan too. Put on a low to medium heat and stir till the butter has melted. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in 400ml of milk with a balloon whisk or fork. Bring to the boil and stir well to break down any lumps. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes till thickened.
- Once thickened, take off the heat and add your fish mix, your mustard, chives, peas, and sweetcorn. Mix together and pour into your oven-proof dish.
- Flatten down with a spoon and add your mash potatoes on top. Evenly sprinkle your cheese to the top of the mash layer.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- What can you add to this recipe?
If you prefer a bit more of a kick to your food, add some chilli flakes to the top of the potato layer before adding the cheese. If you grow your own potatoes, this recipe is perfect for their debut!
- How long can you store this dish?
Place any leftovers in a sealed container and pop in the fridge for a maximum of two to three days. Alternatively, you can place leftovers in a well-sealed container and put in the freezer for longer keeping. Heat through thoroughly in the oven before eating.