There’s no denying that Begonias are one of the most popular and sought after flowers for the summer garden. With a beautiful and rich assortment of colours and a long flowering season, there are so many qualities to enjoy when it comes to these vibrant beauties.
Check out our guide to find out more about tubers and how to plant them, as well as a summary of our beautiful types of Begonias, so you can find a variety that best suits you and your garden’s needs.
What are Tubers?
Tubers are a thick underground part of a stem or rhizome and Begonia sizes are measured by the diameter of the tuber. Many of our varieties are supplied either as:
- Standard size (3/4cm) – great for mass planting
- Exhibition size (5cm+) – excellent for large flowering displays
How Do I Plant Begonia Tubers?
- Planting Time: February – May 📆
- Position: Full Sun/Partial Shade ☀
- Flowering Time: June-October 🌸
- Start off your Begonias indoors (until all risk of frosts have passed) in a light room or greenhouse.
- Plant the tubers in pots with the hollow side facing up.
- Cover the tubers with no more than 1cm of soil or potting compost.
- Watered regularly during the summer, so that the soil is not allowed to dry out.
- Feed once every two weeks with a high potassium up until the blooms begin to fade.
- Lift tubers after flowering has finished and the leaves have begun to turn yellow.
- Store in a dry, cool (but frost-free) location over the winter. Store in soil that is only a little moist and keep this a little moist over the winter (with irregular watering) to keep the tubers from drying out.
Check out our video tutorials
Which tuber suits you? To help you get a head start on your summer planning, we’ve listed out the different types of Begonias, so you can decide which magnificent bloomer will best suit your garden.
Create a waterfall of elegance with these beautiful, trailing Begonias. Perfect for hanging baskets and patio pots.
As the name suggests, these beautiful Begonias will produce masses of flowers all throughout the summer months. Great for summer baskets, pots or beds.
Superba (Mighty Mini) Our premium Superba (Mighty Mini) Begonias are a stand out for the summer garden. This colourful, compact and versatile plant is perfect for pots, hanging baskets or window boxes.
Fancy Frills (Fimbriata)
A remarkable, flamboyant Begonia. Add charm to your summer patios with these large, frilly blooms. Available in an assortment of magnificent colours.