Looking for the perfect autumnal recipe for your harvested pears? This delicious, spiced caramel and pear tart recipe is the perfect comfort food to keep you warm this autumn.
Time: 1 1/2 hours
You will need:
- 9-inch tart pan
For the base:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the pears:
- 3-4 sweet pears (Pear 'Beth' or Pear 'Concorde')
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cinnamon
For the caramel:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Make the base - Heat oven to 200°C. Brush 1 sheet of puff pastry dough with melted butter, then gently press into a 9-inch tart pan, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Fold in edges of dough, slightly pinching sides to form crust.
2. Arrange the Pears - Arrange pear slices in
decorative circles on the prepared crust. Sprinkle top with sugar, spices and
cubes of butter.
Bake 45 minutes until crust is deep golden brown and pear topping is cooked. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack; leave oven on.
3. Make the Caramel - While your tart is baking, in small saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar until dissolved. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, carefully swirling pan, until sugar begins to caramelize and turn amber in colour. Remove from heat; stir in butter and salt until combined. Stir in heavy cream. Continue to cook sauce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Decorate and serve - Carefully and quickly
brush top of tart with caramel sauce. Be sure to brush both crust and pear
topping. Bake the tart for another 10 minutes until caramel is melted and just
begins to bubble.
Return tart to cooling rack. Let it cool before slicing.
- When should you pick pears?
It's best to pick pears when they are mature but not fully ripe and let them ripen in the home. Simply, cup the fruit in your hand, tilt horizontally, and it should come away easily. You can then leave them indoors at room temperature for a week to ripen.
- How do I store fruit tarts?
This pear tart is best served the day it is made; cool or room temperature storage is fine that day, but be sure to refrigerate the leftovers.
Shop our full range of pears online.